$DOE – Accounting degree with Standard Cost Accounting and management experience supporting a major manufacturing plant required. 20-40% travel, some travel may be international.
The Plant Controller position functions as a business partner with plant and financial management to effectively manage and control the local business and is accountable for plant-level responsibilities including general accounting, cost accounting, bill of materials, business analysis, financial reporting, including inventory accuracy and plant KPIs. Will also liaison with corporate financial staff, as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- In each of the duties listed above, the employee is expected to perform to the highest standards of quality, to strive for maximum customer satisfaction, and to continually look for ways to improve the methods, practices, and procedures of this position and Finance as a whole.
- Be the value-added business partner to the Plant Manager to drive success and results at the plant.
- Analyze and accurately report the current month’s financial results to the plant and corporate management in accordance with corporate format and time requirements. Analyze the plant results to “make the numbers” talk. Communicate financial information to non-financial people in terms that they can understand.
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports compared to forecast and budget.
- Submit all financial transactions, transmissions, and reporting on a timely and accurate basis.
- Ensure the accuracy of the inventory cycle audits and reported results. Investigate and explain the book to physical adjustments.
- Responsible for establishing annual labor and overhead rates by area and understand changes from previous periods.
- Ensure the bill of material and costing accurately reflect production operations.
- Analyze potential excess and obsolete inventory items monthly and review reserves.
- Analyze inventory revaluation and review reserves.
- Prepare capital requests which justify the purchase of the assets.
- Attend daily plant production meetings.
- Perform walkthroughs of the plant with the plant management team to discuss production and cost issues. Review labor reporting and cost, material costs, manufacturing overhead, distribution cost, and inventory levels.
- Utilize LEAN manufacturing principles (e.g. Value Stream mapping) to take waste (time and cost) out of the plant. Experience with the Toyota production system is recommended.
- Conduct formal meetings with manufacturing and finance personnel to discuss all plant issues. Develop and publish a formal agenda and recap with actions to be taken.
- Analyze internal controls to ensure assets are adequately safeguarded and results are accurately reported.
- Assure adherence to International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS). Resolve questions of IFRS and internal controls with corporate financial management.
- Assist in the completion of special projects at the plant and corporate levels.
- Additional “needle-moving” duties may be assigned by CFO-Americas.
No direct reports for this role. Motivates the plant team via collaborative influence.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) in Accounting from a four-year college or university, Master’s Degree preferred; and a minimum of five years of heavy cost experience with supervision; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Certified Management Accountant designation (CMA) preferred.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Computer skills, including Excel (including proficiency with Pivot tables, VLOOKUP) including SAP proficiency preferred.